BOOK NEWS BUZZ
NEWS, REVIEWS & LIBRARY BUZZ
The Fix’s list of best presidential biographies
Source: WaPo, 12-5-12
* John Adams: John Adams, by David McCullough; Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams, by Joseph J. Ellis.
* Thomas Jefferson: Jefferson and His Time, by Dumas Malone; American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, by Joseph J. Ellis; Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, by Jon Meacham.
* James Madison: James Madison: A Biography, by Ralph Ketchem.
* James Monroe: The Last Founding Father: James Monroe and a Nation’s Call to Greatness, by Harlow Giles Unger.
* John Quincy Adams: John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents Series), by Robert V. Remini.
* Martin Van Buren: Martin Van Buren (The American Presidents Series), by Ted Widmer; Martin Van Buren : The Romantic Age of American Politics, by John Niven.
* William Henry Harrison: William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents Series) by Gail Collins; Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Times, by Freeman Cleaves.
* James K. Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America, by Walter R. Borneman.
* Zachary Taylor: Zachary Taylor: Soldier, Planter, Statesman of the Old Southwest, by K. Jack Bauer.
* Franklin Pierce: Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents Series), by Michael Holt.
* James Buchanan: President James Buchanan: A Biography, by Philip S. Klein.
* Abraham Lincoln: Lincoln, by David Herbert Donald; Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin; With Malice Toward None: A Life of Abraham Lincoln, by Stephen B. Oates; Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and The War Years, by Carl Sandburg; Abraham Lincoln, by Lord Charnwood.
* Andrew Johnson: Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents Series), by Annette Gordon-Reed.
* James Garfield: Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President, by Candice Millard.
*Chester Arthur: Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents Series), by Zachary Karabell; Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur, by Thomas C. Reeves.
* Benjamin Harrison: Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents Series), by Charles W. Calhoun; Benjamin Harrison: Hoosier statesman, by Harry Joseph Sievers.
* William McKinley: Presidency of William McKinley, by Lewis. L. Gould.
* Theodore Roosevelt: Edmund Morris’s Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy; Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt, by David McCullough.
* William Howard Taft: The Life & Times of William Howard Taft, by Harry F. Pringle.
* Woodrow Wilson: Woodrow Wilson: A Biography, by John Milton Cooper Jr.
* Warren G. Harding: The Shadow of Blooming Grove: Warren G. Harding in His Times, by Francis Russell; Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents Series), by John W. Dean.
* Calvin Coolidge: Coolidge, An American Enigma, by Robert Sobel.
* Herbert Hoover: Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents Series), by William E. Leuchtenburg.
*Gerald Ford: Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents Series) by Douglas Brinkley.
*Jimmy Carter: Jimmy Carter, by Julian E. Zelizer (The American Presidents Series).
*George H.W. Bush: George H.W. Bush (The American Presidents Series), by Timothy Naftali.
*George W. Bush: Decision Points (Bush’s memoir); Peter Baker’s forthcoming Bush book.